Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Group Reading

Its always annoying when you read an amazing novel but have no one to share to the story with. You try to explain the story to your sister or mother but it is not the same. I believe that reading a novel at the same time as a friend can be much more enjoyable. After finishing a section you can discuss the areas that made you angry or the areas that were enjoyable.

The class readers choice made me realize that reading a novel within a group makes the reading so much better. During group discussions, each member of my group would take part in a heated conversation about the last nights reading. My favorite class discussion involved a novel called "13 Reasons Why." For 40 minutes straight me and my group let out our feelings on how much we hated the main character. At first I thought that I was the only one that felt that way, but i sooned learned i was not alone. For me, this made the reading much more interesting 

During this class Readers' Choice, we were also given assignments to read alone. One of these assignments included "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas." Reading this novel alone was almost impossible. The novel was so emotionally draining that it was hard not to talk about it with anyone. At the end of the novel I wanted to unleash all my emotions with someone but I couldn't. Reading with a friend offers much more than reading alone.
The next time I go to read a novel I want it to be a book that my friend has already or is currently reading. A friend of mine has always bugged me to read the Hunger Games, and when I finally did, I really enjoyed talking to her about different parts of the novel. For me, reading in groups makes the reading process ten times easier and more enjoyable. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that reading with a group is much better than reading individually. Group reading allows you to bounce ideas of one another while reading alone makes you bottle up and puts more stress on your brain. I also agree that reading boring books is almost impossible, but reading with friends provides some entertainment when struggling with a boring book.

    ReplyDelete